I'm a politically liberal atheist. For those who find liberal and/or atheist views to be unbearable, consider yourselves forewarned. I encourage you to read, though, even if you don't align with my views. After all, this is the United States of America (well.....at least it is where I am) and the discussion of ideas is one of our most cherished freedoms.

The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. I will try to be accurate in my posts but there will surely come a time when I get something wrong. Feel free to notify me if it is something egregious or you believe the correction would alter my opinion.



Monday, June 1, 2009

Sonia Sotomayor

President Obama selected a self-made, Ivy League educated, highly experienced woman to the soon to-be-open position on the Supreme Court of the United States. What a responsible choice he made!

Of course, the GOP is bending over backwards trying to make political hay out of this decision. It would be much too much to ask them to admit our president made a fantastic choice. No, they can't do that. What would the "right" think?

There is a problem for the GOP, though. Ms. Sotomayor is a Latina and Hispanics are a large constituency the Republicans don't want to alienate. So the elected people of that party are not making any derogatory comments. They're allowing their almighty leader, Jabba the ..... oops, I mean Rush Limbaugh and his ilk to make them.

The Republicans are not man/woman enough to stand up and make negative claims against Ms. Sotomayor themselves. They're pretending to be upstanding, reasoned people while the loony bin of the Right shoots off their mouths.

In the end, it will all be for naught. Ms. Sotomayor, barring any unforeseen problems, will become a Supreme Court Justice. The Right will claim to have done due diligence in their interrogation of her. Then we can all hope for an additional SCOTUS retirement during Obama's tenure (preferably, a conservative's retirement).

1 comment: