I'm a politically liberal atheist. For those who find liberal and/or atheist views to be unbearable, consider yourselves forewarned. I encourage you to read, though, even if you don't align with my views. After all, this is the United States of America (well.....at least it is where I am) and the discussion of ideas is one of our most cherished freedoms.

The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. I will try to be accurate in my posts but there will surely come a time when I get something wrong. Feel free to notify me if it is something egregious or you believe the correction would alter my opinion.



Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Right Wing Terror

No, it's not the Taliban but in some ways, it is worse. Here in the United States of America, we allow the Right Wing to bandy about phrases which hit the ears of fringe elements of our society. Then those fringe elements believe they are being called to take action.

Of course what I am speaking about is the heinous assassination of Dr. George Tiller on May 31st, as he was attending his church. What is so bizarre is the crime was committed by a man who purports to be a Pro-Life believer. What utter nonsense!

And what bastion of Right Wing criminality do I blame for some of this? Fox News. Bill O'Reilly has broadcast his opinion of Dr. Tiller's perfectly legal medical practice. He said the doctor had 'blood on his hands' amongst other trigger speech.

Randall Terry said George R. Tiller "was a mass murderer and, horrifically, he reaped what he sowed."

All of this rhetoric fuels the fire in the minds of the weak minded. The people who believe they are singled out to do something about it. We live in a land of free speech but it must be done with care and concern for the consequences. In fact, my "speech" here might fuel the fire of someone on the left to take action towards those who I deem responsible for this.

Alas, I don't have an audience of thousands listening to me as if I know all the answers. I do, but that is another topic for another day ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment