I'm a politically liberal atheist. For those who find liberal and/or atheist views to be unbearable, consider yourselves forewarned. I encourage you to read, though, even if you don't align with my views. After all, this is the United States of America (well.....at least it is where I am) and the discussion of ideas is one of our most cherished freedoms.

The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. I will try to be accurate in my posts but there will surely come a time when I get something wrong. Feel free to notify me if it is something egregious or you believe the correction would alter my opinion.



Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Oh No! I Agree (somewhat) with Dick Cheney!!!

Dick Cheney supports same-sex marriage. There, I posted it. I wish that was all I had to do but my conscience forces me to examine this further.

It seems that this man may be human after all. I am not clearing him of a multitude of crimes against humanity but in this case, I think he's come to a fairly logical conclusion.

The only place I disagree is Cheney believes this is a states' issue; that marriage has always been regulated by the state. I feel this is a national issue. Marriage equality should be mandated in all states, at the same time. Whatever the rules are for hetero marriage in each state will be the rules for same-sex marriage. Now why don't people just ask me how things should be done (set up). I always have the right answers! LOL

In fact, we shouldn't call it same-sex marriage once it becomes legal. It will just be marriage like hetero-sexual marriage is just plain marriage.

Now, onto why Dick Cheney has come out (pardon the pun) with this opinion. I think he's felt this way for a very long time. It just wasn't politically expedient for him to express it.

He has a daughter, Mary, who is in a stable relationship with a woman and they have a child (I believe only one). I remember the very uncomfortable Vice Presidential debate in 2004 between Cheney and John Edwards. The topic was brought up. Dick didn't appreciate his daughter's life being discussed on national television. If only someone had told him that was likely to happen. He might have opted not to run for VP (wouldn't that have been wonderful?).

It was very obvious that Cheney didn't want to make any claims about rights for homosexual citizens. If he truly felt the same way the GOP has established their opinion on such matters, he would've said so. I am sure of it. He showed his hand there.

So, now, halfway into the year 2009, Dick Cheney has expressed a progressive opinion as his own. Is there hope for him? I doubt it. Is there hope for those people on the 'Right'? Yes, most definitely. If Dick can do it, so can they!

No comments:

Post a Comment