I'm a politically liberal atheist. For those who find liberal and/or atheist views to be unbearable, consider yourselves forewarned. I encourage you to read, though, even if you don't align with my views. After all, this is the United States of America (well.....at least it is where I am) and the discussion of ideas is one of our most cherished freedoms.

The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. I will try to be accurate in my posts but there will surely come a time when I get something wrong. Feel free to notify me if it is something egregious or you believe the correction would alter my opinion.



Thursday, June 25, 2009

Governor Mark Sanford

I've read and heard all the ups and downs of Gov. Sanford's disappearance and eventual return to South Carolina. He held a press conference and I watched it. Then I saw it in parts on many different shows the rest of the day.

Yes, he did wrong. What's worse, he's one of those holier than thou Republicans who has demanded that others, in similar situations, resign! And I agree to a certain point. If a political representative is whoring around I don't want him representing me. If he's managing his office and can keep his peccadilloes out of the public eye, then I guess I'm none the wiser.

What I saw yesterday was a man who was ill prepared for the press. That, along with the emails that were made public (between him and his lover) leads me to believe he is in love with this Argentinian woman.

Yes, his wife has stood beside him for 20 years. She doesn't deserve this. Yet, no one knows the condition of their marriage. It looks like he's planning on remaining the governor and trying to repair his marriage. That seems dishonest to me. I'd feel much better about him if he was honest. Told everyone that he loves this other woman and resigns from his office.

Yes, he has children. That is always the lynch pin in these matters. Perhaps he could arrange for his lover to move to the US (possibly with her children)? It's difficult, I know. After all, his wife knew about the affair, they split up with the idea that he'd get straight with his feelings. Why did he spend so long in Argentina or better yet, why did he go at all? I know I wouldn't trust he was over his affair if he just HAD to go there to break it off. No. I just detest forced reconciliations. They make me so uncomfortable.

1 comment:

  1. Should Sanford remain as Governor? His adultery does not bother me. That s between he and his wife. A CNN poll today has 66% of the respondants saying infidelaty kills their marriage and 33% saying infidelity can be wored out. I am with the 33% ... like Bill and Hilary Clinton. Lots of things are a lot more important than sexual fathfulness. Emotional and loving faithfulness for one. That's the way I have always seen it. How do Mrs. and Gov. Sanford see things? I have no idea and would not deream of asking - it is entirely thir business.

    On the other hand, the Governor left South Carolina, told no one where he was going, left the USA, gave executive powers to no one in his absence, and therefore acted totally irresponsibly. THAT is what they will impeach him for. The REAL reason will be the Southern women voters and the Baptist preachers demanding his head as an adulterer. The legal reason and the guy reason will be abandonment of duty. Watch and see if I am not right.

    Nice blog! Except I hate that I have to copy a word to post a comment here. I HATE that!!

    ReplyDelete