I'm a politically liberal atheist. For those who find liberal and/or atheist views to be unbearable, consider yourselves forewarned. I encourage you to read, though, even if you don't align with my views. After all, this is the United States of America (well.....at least it is where I am) and the discussion of ideas is one of our most cherished freedoms.

The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. I will try to be accurate in my posts but there will surely come a time when I get something wrong. Feel free to notify me if it is something egregious or you believe the correction would alter my opinion.



Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Proposition 8

So California has determined that Prop 8 will remain in effect. Yet, the marriages which occurred prior to Prop 8 (I believe there are 18000 of them) will remain in effect. What the heck?

California has determined that same-sex marriage is not legal but the 18000 same sex couples, who married during the period of time CA did permit same-sex marriage, are legal. This is crazy.

I don't believe you can say no to one and yes to the other. It makes no sense. But go right ahead, California. I am sure this legal maneuver will make it much easier for someone to take this fight to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Then, hopefully, most assuredly (because nothing else makes sense) same-sex marriage will become legal in the United States of America for anyone who wishes to enter into it. Sanity will rule! Small minded, Bronze Age superstition will be put in its place!

I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Or is Mr Olsen setting all of us up? Is he headed to the Supreme Court now hoping for a bad decision that will se4t the lgbt movement back a couple of decades like the Hardwick vs Georgia decision did on sodomy in the 80's? Time will tell. But I agree; having 18,000 legal marriages in a state where these same marriages arfe unconstitutional is madness!

    ReplyDelete